Friday, February 20, 2009

The Digital Divide


Ian Jukes made some provocative statements today. Here is a short list of my favorites.


  1. Speaking about the great digital divide between generations he said, "Schools are doing a great job of preparing students for the year 1960!"

  2. Speaking about teachers and their teaching styles he said, "When the going gets tough the tough get traditional."

  3. "Digital kids think differently."

  4. "Today's students are not disabled, they are other abled."

  5. "Today's students will have 10 - 17 careers (not jobs - careers) ............by the time they are 35."
(Click here for news article.)

Many of this year's presenters have pounded home the idea that we are in an era of unbelievable change and the changes are only going to get faster and faster.

If educators don't try to catch up with the students technologically and learn to harness the tools they use daily - we are going to lose more and more students.

Gives you something to think about.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm glad to hear the conference is focusing so much on the problem we have of educators not keeping up with the students in technology. I think it's a pretty serious problem. If we want to keep our kids in school, we must learn to teach in the way they learn. Many teachers and principals are afraid of technology, while others just don't have the time to learn it.

I hope you come back with some great suggestions for us!

Jim said...

I currently have students that are hardcore gamers. Some stay up all night gaming away and come to school to rest up for the next nights session. I do believe there are benefits to gaming. From the article I should have several kids with at least 20/10 vision. But how do I harness this for instruction in the classroom? Somehow I don't believe the school board would buy off on using violent video games to enhance student learning. I had a couple of my super gamers bring their games to school and demonstrate for me what it is they love about the games. The realism is a little scary and the subject matter in many of these games is at least an R rating. I can see the attraction just not sure how to harness this tool.