Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Geared Up for the Golden Gate City

When you live in Wyoming, you reside in the least populated state in the nation, a place where February is not the shortest month of the year. It gets so cold and lonely that running the mule deer off the football field is entertaining. It isn’t exactly what you see on the Outdoor Channel, but it certainly describes the mid-winter “wild” life here in Wyoming. To say I am not excited about this year’s conference in San Francisco would be a lie. I have read through this year’s program and am equally excited about the professional opportunities that wait. If the program isn’t enough to get you exited, your increased office mail from all of the vendors at this year’s conference should be tickling your anxieties to get out of the office for another annual AASA National Conference.

When I think about this year’s conference, I also think about Mark Twain’s quip, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” I just wonder if Mark ever visited Wyoming in February. I guess it doesn’t make a difference; I’ll be in the Golden Gate City soon. No mule deer, sheep (that’s right, I raise sheep – and live in Wyoming), no constituency meetings, board agendas, legislative bills or other obligations or crisis that demand my attention as a superintendent. My focus will be on relaxing and learning in the waterfront city that is the home of the original yuppie. For sure and for certain, it is that time of year again… I’ll look forward to blogging with you in San Francisco!

No comments: