Thursday, February 19, 2009

Faces of Children

It was an exciting first day for the AASA National Conference on Education. The theme for the day seemed to be about change. Donna Brazile talked about winds of change and I was reminded of the opening of Tom Friedman's book - Hot, Flat and Crowded. He talks in the introduction about a Chinese saying - when the strong winds blow, some people build walls to block the wind and others build windmills to harness the wind. All of the speakers today seemed to talk about building those windmills and harnessing the change that is sweeping across our nation.

Friedman talks about the new generation of builders in our country and Brazile talked about that group also. They are the 19-23 year olds that made a difference in the recent presidential election. They are the next generation of leaders who want to restore America to the pride and hope that the world used to expect from our country. Yes, all of the speakers today inspired and talked about harnessing the winds of change and then I saw the faces of children.

I saw a choir of amazing diversity. A choir of children from all types of schools and all ages. I saw pride in the faces of children from all backgrounds. The pride came from performing music to a large audience of adults. I saw and heard children singing about the hope and the winds of change that are awaiting them as they grow up and assume responsibility for this great country.

I saw a Latin Jazz Band full of students who loved the music and loved performing. I saw a bass player who showed his emotion for the music with every pluck of the strings. I saw a saxophone player perform like a professional musician. Again, I saw a wide range of diversity in the group.

Bottom line for me is the children. I was excited by the speakers, however, I was moved to continue the work that we do everyday by the faces of the children. Donna Brazile probably had it right. She said we are doing God's work. I'm certain that God would have loved the music today and would have loved seeing the faces of the children.

No comments: