Saturday, February 16, 2008

Leadership Lessons from Golf

I had some thoughts on Thursday about tying golf and leadership together as I was stumbling my way around Westchase Golf Club. I was with seven other Wyoming administrators enjoying the beautiful weather and a fun course ten minutes from the airport. 
Prior to playing, I decided to play smart for maybe the second time in my golf life and not take my driver out on every tee box to see how far I could hit it. As I approached the tee box on hole 1 (our tenth of the day), I started to take out my 3 iron to play a nice safe shot. I could get in trouble on the right with water and long left with a bunker that would make it almost impossible to get to the green on my next shot. 
After watching everyone else in the group hit a wood safely, I changed my mind to do the same. You all know what happened next - in the sand 20' behind a tree line that safely hid the green some 40 or 50 yards away. I had once again learned the fate of not following my first instinct, instead doing what everyone else had done. 
The lesson in that one hole, and in many other golf holes I have played, is that we are all individuals that need to play our own game. As I listen to all the great presenters and fellow administrators at this conference, I must remind myself to look at how others might be doing something successfully, and then think to myself, "now what would be the best 'club selection' for me and/or my district?" 
I will continue to try to hone my game by looking inward and trying to get the best score, not necessarily hitting the long ball. Guess I better get back out on the course soon.

No comments: